Monday 6 August 2007

Yoshihiro Suda

Yoshihiro SUDA (nmp net gallery)
www.dnp.co.jp/ museum/ nmp/ nmp_b/ gallery/ shokudo/ suda_e.html
"a plant can only live by adapting itself to the environment when its seed is first planted in the ground somewhere. If the seed is dropped in myself, then it must acclimatize to the environment which is me. It just so happened that I was a person who sculpted wood. Therefore, within myself, the plant forms itself into a state that is sculpted wood"
Weed, by Yoshihiro Suda
Yoshihiro Suda and Takehito Koganezawa: Ma, Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin
www.recirca.com/ reviews/ yoshihiro/ index.shtml
I discovered a sticker on the wall saying "morning glory, painted wood." I was momentarily puzzled by this because the space around the sticker appeared to be empty. In my search to locate the work, I looked up and saw an exquisitely carved flower curving out of the wall above my head. From then on, I spent the rest of the show having quiet discoveries in the gallery ... Yoshihiro Suda, Weeds

No comments: